Probiotic Vida: Probiotic and Prebiotic
Probiotic Vida combines 13 different Bacterial strains together with an amount of edible fibre. Probiotics are live micro-organisms and their food is called Prebiotics.
A healthy intestine is a home for up to 100 trillion bacteria of between 500 – 1000 different species. These bacteria are an integral part of digestion, they split up food, making it digestible for us, whilst they themselves also feed on it. In addition, these bacteria produce certain vitamins, digestive enzymes and other substances that are important for digestion. These industrious cohabitants of our intestines are called the intestinal flora, or a more recently coined name is microbiome.
Probiotics and Intestinal Flora
According to the definition of the World Gastroenterology Organization (WGO), probiotics are “live microorganisms consumed in appropriate quantities, which give a health benefit to humans.” “The word probiotic comes from the Greek and is composed of” Pro “=” for “and “Bios” = “life.” Lactobacilli, bifido bacteria, enterococci and yeast fungi are examples of well-known Probiotics. These form the basis for intestinal flora.
* WGO. 2008. Probiotics and prebiotics. World Gastroenterology Organisation Practice Guideline.
Prebiotics: Food for Bacteria
Prebiotics are non-digestible food ingredients which we humans cannot digest. In our intestine, the gut flora digests these Prebiotics and thus grow and thrive. In short, Prebiotics are the food for Probiotics so that the ‘good’ gut flora can settle and multiply in our intestine. Prebiotics thus gives probiotics an advantage over other micro-organisms, in the race to colonize our intestines
What are the advantages of Probiotic Vida?
- Probiotic Vida contains 13 different bacterial strains.
- Contains partially hydrolysed Guar meal, Inulin derived from Chicory and psyllium husk powder. These are prebiotic additives, that act as nutrients for the probiotic bacteria.
- Contains 10 billion bacteria ** for daily dosage
- In addition to a balanced and varied diet, Probiotic Vida adds lactic acid bacteria to your gut, which is deemed to be physiologically advantageous.