Vitamin D3 Vida: Vitamin D3 and Coconut Oil
What is Vitamin D3?
Vitamin D3 or Cholecalciferol, is a precursor of Vitamin D. It is an inactive essential organic compound, which the body converts to the active form, Vitamin D. Our body produces/synthesises Vitamin D3 in our skin using sunlight. However, this process is dependent on various factors of sun exposure, such as the sun position, altitude and geographical location, the weather etc. This means that anything that gets between your skin and a clear blue sky has an impact on your body’s dermal ability to produce Vitamin D from sunshine. So, in our (Swiss) latitude, the sun is too weak between November and April for dermal Vitamin D production. *
Why Coconut Oil?
Vitamin D3 is a lipid-soluble (fat) substance. For the body to absorbed Vitamin D, it should be taken with some form of lipid. In Vitamin D3 Vida we have added coconut oil as the required lipid.
Is vitamin D3 vegan?
The vitamin D in vitamin D3 Vida is high-quality from fermentation and partly synthetically manufactured. It is vegan and NOT of animal origin. Most vitamin D on the market is made from wool fat.
Function of Vitamin D3
- Vitamin D contributes to the normal functioning of the immune system.
- Vitamin D contributes to maintaining healthy bones, normal muscle function, and healthy teeth.
- Vitamin D contributes to maintaining normal calcium levels in the blood.
- Vitamin D contributes to the normal intake and utilisation of calcium and phosphorus.
- Vitamin D has an important function in cell division.
- Vitamin D is required for healthy growth and healthy development of bones in children.
Vitamin-D Deficiency in Switzerland
A working group of the Swiss Federal Office of Health concludes that at least 50% of the Swiss population have a deficient vitamin D level. * A sufficient supply of vitamin D is only achieved in people who are regularly exposed to direct sunlight or who are taking an oral supplement.
A Vitamin D supplement is particularly important for
- People who are rarely in the sun,
- People who often use a sunscreen,
- Older people (vitamin D production of the skin decreases with age).
- In addition, it should be noted that the natural vitamin D sources are restricted to food. It is therefore important to eat a varied and balanced diet. Vitamin D supplements are available to complement your diet.
* Federal Office of Public Health 2012. Vitamin D deficiency: data, safety and recommendations for the Swiss population.
What are the advantages of Vitamin D3 Vida?
- Contains Vitamin D3 in a lipid (oil) base
- 1 drop contains 800 IU of Vitamin D3
- 1 x 30 ml bottle contains about 500 drops which equates to about 408 000 IU of Vitamin D3
- Attractively Priced
- Filled in light-protected Miron Violett glass bottles. These guarantee the best storage quality.