Vitamin K2 Vida: Menachinone in the form MK7
Vitamin K2, also known as menachinone or menaquinone, is a vital, fat-soluble vitamin which can be produced in a healthy body by bacteria of the intestinal flora. About half of the vitamin K2 requirement is produced in this way. However, this only works with healthy intestinal flora and an intact microbiome. Only a healthy intestinal flora can contribute to the formation of vitamin K2. For the other half of its vitamin K2 requirements, the body depends on a sufficient supply of vitamin K2 in the food we consume. The best sources of vitamin K2 are cheeses made from raw milk from grass-fed cows, fermented vegetable foods such as sauerkraut or natto (a fermented, strongly smelling soya from Japan).
Functions of Vitamin K2
- Vitamin K helps maintain healthy bones.
- Vitamin K contributes to normal blood clotting.
Supplementation with vitamin K is particularly important for
- People whose eating habits rarely include green vegetables.
- People for whom the good condition of their bones is an important criterion.
- Older people should ensure they have an adequate supply of vitamin K (vitamin K2 production decreases with age).
Interaction of vitamin K2 and vitamin D3
Vitamin K2 should always be taken in conjunction with vitamin D3, as the two substances work together and promote bone formation. There are scientifically substantiated indications that calcium, without a sufficiently high level of vitamin K2, can only to a limited extent help to preserve healthy bones.Vitamin K2 should always be taken in conjunction with vitamin D3, as the two substances work together and promote bone formation. There are scientifically substantiated indications that calcium, without a sufficiently high level of vitamin K2, can only to a limited extent help to preserve healthy bones.
The different forms of Vitamin K2 (MK4 MK7 MK9)
Vitamin K2 is found in different variants, which differ either in the length of their side chain (MK4, MK7 and MK9) or in their spatial arrangement (cis- or trans-variant). These various forms of vitamin K2 can be very confusing, especially for laymen. Therefore, here is a brief overview:
|Vitamin K2 MK4||insufficient to poor bioavailability|
|Vitamin K2 MK7 cis||Practically ineffective (below 2% efficiency)|
|Vitamin K2 MK7 all-trans||Very effective, very good bioavailability|
|Vitamin K2 MK9||Not approved in Europe – still in the research process|
Vitamin K2 in the form of MK7 all-trans
Vitamin K2 Vida contains only vitamin K2 (menachinone) in the form of MK7 all-trans. Our raw material vitaMK7® is characterized by the following advantages:
- contains more than 99% of vitamin K2 MK7 in the form all-trans
- is from natural orginin and obtained from bacteria in a patented, bio-fermentative process. *Manufacturing flow chart Vitamin K2 MK7
- is produced without chemicals or solvents and not synthetically.
- does not contain any allergens or soya, no additives or preservatives and is vegan.
- is not genetically engineered and is absolutely GMO-free.
Vitamin K2 Vida thus contains a vitamin K2 of very good quality, which is present in its active form, with maximum bioavailability and without impurities. According to the following study1 , purity is an important quality characteristic.
Bioavailability of the cis and trans structures
Vitamin K2 MK7 is available in a cis and active trans form. The cis-form of MK7 is considered biologically inactive. In the production process of vitamin K2 there may develop undesirable cis isomers and the product can then hardly be described as all-trans2. Some production methods of K2 vitamins are using chemical solvents. These may remain in the product3. Vitamin K2 is only maximum bioavailable if it is 99% in a trans variant (all-trans). Always check the certificates of your supplier.
2 see Jedynak et al. (2017): A novel method for the determination of chemical purity and assay of menaquinone-7. Comparison with the methods from the official USP monograph, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 135:116-25.
What are the benefits of Vitamin K2 Vida?
- Contains high availability vitamin K2
- 1 capsule contains 225µg high-dose vitamin K2 MK7
- 1 package contains 120 capsules
- Competitively priced
- The product is vegan